Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Fat Tuesday

Mardi Gras 1998
(Lady Pun, DYY and Sonya pictured here, sucking juice out of a crawfish's head)

I considered New Orleans to be the best city in the South. Each time I visited, I felt the soul of the city caress my body and penetrate my spirit in a slow and sensual way. I often daydreamed about how I would retire there with my lover and just fucken chill. Have lots of sex. Listen to jazz and eat po'boys and etouffee all day.

Mardi Gras festivites persevered this past week... despite that 80% of the city continues to be in ruins. There is no electricity or clean running water. Thousands of residents still displaced.

However, it seems that every mainstream article I read praised the annual event. In fact, they all repeated the same rhetoric, like how locals need Mardi Gras to feel alive, how it is theraputic, etc.

I don't know. I'm not so convinced.

Larry Lamborghini, a New Orleans native, wasn't convinced either. You can tell from his blog. To DYY's delight, he commented about this op ed piece by another New Orleans native who happens to favor the Mardi Gras celebration. Larry's comments are long and scathing. Ouch.

No comments: