Sunday, January 22, 2006

Witch Hunt at UCLA

'UCLA STUDENTS: Do you have a professor who just can't stop talking about President Bush, about the war in Iraq, about the Republican Party, or any other ideological issue that has nothing to do with the class subject matter? It doesn't matter whether this is a past class, or your class from this coming winter quarter. If you help expose the professor, we'll pay you for your work."

The Bruin Alumni Association, a super conservative Republican alumni group, is offering $100 to students to report professors who speak about social and policital issues that conflict with Republican ideologies... in other words, there's a bounty on liberal professors. Free speech and exhange of ideas are threatened... by the almighty dollar. I guess Puffy was right when he said 'it's all about the Benjamin's, baby'. I can't believe Puffy is right about something, and that I just quoted him.

The truth is, I don't even fault the Republicans... although they play dirty, it's a pretty ingenious idea (now why didn't we think of this first?). Who I fault is the University. They have yet to make a formal announcement that such disclosures will not impact a professor's career or livelihood. The University must assure their faculty and staff that UCLA is an environment of higher learning that encourages and supports a free exchange of thoughts and ideas from professors to pupils and back. But, of course, they have failed to do this. This is why I refuse to donate money to UCLA. Even if I'm the last alumnus alive, and the whole university depended on my donation, I would not. Word.

No comments: