Friday, January 6, 2006

I Heart Vince

My co-workers announced at lunch today that Vincent Gallo died. I was surprised, then bummed. The first time I heard of Vincent Gallo was during Thanksgiving weekend when we rented BUFFALO 66, which I thought was excellent. Since then, the movie has popped up in my thoughts from time-to-time.

I emailed the group of folks I saw the movie with and relayed the sad news. Jane responded that she couldn't find any details on the web. Harkim said our friend has a friend who has a friend who parties with Vince, so he'll find out. In the meantime, I searched the web and found Vince's official website, maintained by Vince himself. Dude... Vince is fuckin crazy cool. I had no idea. The shit on his website is brilliant. He has a merchandise section in which he sells his old crappy possessions, and people buy it! I love it.

I began doing more research on him and delightfully discovered that he's funny too. Funny in an arrogant insecure neurotic way, like his character in Buffalo 66. Super irreverant. Quite racist and homophobic... but c'mon... he's a fuckin Italian from Buffalo! You might think that comment's harsh (or racist), but I know Vince would appreciate it. Anyway, I decided I'm going to write him a letter... if he's still alive, that is.

Harkim was on the same tip. He forwarded to us this essay Vince wrote for Dutch Magazine. After I read it, I was hooked.

DYY formally declares herself a fan of Vincent Gallo.

Brown Bunny, anybody?

No comments: