- You'd save more water by not eating a single pound of California beef than you would by not showering for an entire year.
- Producing a single hamburger patty uses enough fuel to drive twenty miles. It also causes the loss of five times its weight in topsoil.
- More than a third of all raw materials and fossil fuels consumed in the US are used in animal production.
- It takes 4.8 pounds of grain (fed to cattle) to produce one pound of beef.
- A pould of wheat can be grown with sixty pounds of water, whereas a pound of meat requires 2,500 to 6,000 pounds.
- Reducing meat production by just 10% in the US would free enough grain to feed 60 million people.
Sunday, August 20, 2006
The case against beef
Did you know...