Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Economic Boycott

I would like to take this opportunity to applaud all the committed individuals who refused to purchase anything on May 1st. Whether or not the boycott truly made a detrimental impact on our economy (I have been hearing differing reports), it made people notice and, I bet, worry just a little bit...

I wholeheartedly disagree with all the critics who felt the boycott would alienate the public. That part of the public hated immigrants or never cared about immigrants to begin with.

Marc Cooper (a columnist from the LA Weekly who I followed and sympathized with when he was harassed for reporting about the UFW scandal) wrote an opinion piece in the LA Times that stated, "Boycotts are powerful and volatile weapons used as a last resort to bust open dams of dogged resistance. You don't use them when the political tide is even vaguely flowing in your direction." As you might have guessed, he doesn't agree with the boycott/walkout.

Yo Marc, wake the fuck up! Immigrants lack power. They don't own media, they don't have much money or resources, and most of them can't vote. The power immigrants have come from their labor, their numbers and their principles. That's why a boycott was necessary. And considering the height of anti-immigrant legislation and sentiment, the time is now to use the most "powerful and volatile weapons" we got!

Marc, perhaps you should apply for a correspondent position at Fox News or CNN? I heard they reported mostly negative portrayals of the rally and boycott. However, I think I get why you wrote what you wrote -- BF informed me that you created a nice little niche for yourself as a progressive who criticizes other progressives. Dude, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do... but you lost a fan. Hey, I'm sure you and Ann Coulter can be best buddies though.

No comments: