Thursday, January 31, 2008

Obama v. Clinton

So I watched the final democratic primary debate between Senator Obama and Senator Clinton. I am ashamed to admit that this is the first (and apparently the last) debate I watched this election season... and it was boring. Nothing like the previous spars I had unfortunately missed.

But I am very pleased to announce that watching tonight's debates affirmed my decision to VOTE FOR OBAMA. He impressed me with his response to the immigration issue. The question was:

How do you propose to address the high unemployment rates and the declining wages in the African-American community that are related to the flood of immigrant labor?"

And Obama's answer was:

Well, let me first of all say that I have worked on the streets of Chicago as an organizer with people who have been laid off from steel plants, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, and, you know, all of them are feeling economically insecure right now, and they have been for many years. Before the latest round of immigrants showed up, you had huge unemployment rates among African-American youth.

And, so, I think to suggest somehow that the problem that we're seeing in inner-city unemployment, for example, is attributable to immigrants, I think, is a case of scapegoating that I do not believe in, I do not subscribe to.

Word up, brother.

I believe Barack will be the agent of change. A radical change, I hope. Hilary brings with her the same old shit and I'm over it.

No comments: